Feel Better Fast: Treating Indigestion and GERD Naturally (and deliciously)
There are plenty of natural (and delicious) remedies to help ease indigestion and GERD. Not only are these solutions good for your body, but they can also help put a smile on your face again. No more forcing yourself to suffer through a meal in agony! So, here are some ways to beat indigestion and GERD through easy and delicious recipes that we’re sure you'll love.
Causes of Indigestion and GERD
When it comes to digestion, it's not all sunshine and daisies. Sometimes, it can be a struggle to enjoy your food without acid reflux, stomachache, and heartburn. So what causes these pesky problems?
In a word: anything. Eating too quickly, stress, greasy foods – they all contribute in their own little ways. So if you're dealing with indigestion or GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), consider yourself in good company – we all make mistakes!
Foods to Reduce Symptoms
Did you know what you eat can make a huge impact on managing symptoms of indigestion and GERD? Believe it or not, there are some delicious foods out there that can actually help soothe your tummy troubles.
- Foods with probiotics: Think yogurt and kefir! Probiotics help promote healthy bacteria in your gut, which aids digestion and regulates stomach acid.
- High fiber foods: Try adding more avocados, apples, oats and brown rice to your diet. Fiber can help ease uncomfortable GERD symptoms like bloating. Honey Graham Ultra Fiber Cereal is a delicious way to get your daily fiber fix. It's dipped in golden honey for a hint of sweetness and a lot less guilt.
- Bananas (and other potassium rich fruits): Bananas contain natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux. Other great options include papaya, kiwi and melons.
- Carrots: Rich in fiber and beta carotene, raw carrots act as an alkaline to decrease the acidity in your digestive tract.
Herbal Remedies as Natural Relief
Herbal remedies have been used for centuries to naturally replenish, soothe, and heal the gut. Here are some herbal remedies you might find helpful:
- Chamomile Tea: Not just great for a good night's sleep, chamomile can help reduce inflammation and relieve painful symptoms that accompany digestive disorders.
- Slippery Elm: This herbal remedy is known for its anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe the digestive tract. It helps to form a protective coating when taken internally, making it helpful in treating GERD as well as other forms of indigestion.
- Cayenne Pepper: Besides being a great way to spice up your meals, it can also help reduce symptoms of stomachaches because of its analgesic properties. It also stimulates saliva production which helps in digestion and reduces acid reflux caused by GERD.
- Ginger: Ginger is known for its ability to reduce nausea and indigestion symptoms due to its carminative (an agent that increases the activity of digestive enzymes) qualities. It also helps regulate the production of bile which can reduce acids in the stomach, therefore providing relief from GERD symptoms.
- Licorice Root: Not just meant for candy! This herb has been used to treat all kinds of ailments such as infections, ulcers, and even cancer – all while helping with GI issues like heartburn, acid reflux and GERD naturally without any negative side effects!
Lifestyle Habits as Prevention and Treatment
We all know that certain habits can contribute to indigestion and GERD, which is why making a few changes this early on can be key. After all, it's much better to treat it naturally and deliciously than to have to visit your doctor in the first place.
These lifestyle habits could be the key to keeping your stomachache at bay:
- Avoid overeating: You don't need to fill up until you can't move, so try eating small meals throughout the day instead. Not only will this help with indigestion and GERD prevention, but it'll also help you lose weight!
- Cut down on fried foods and fatty foods: Fried food takes longer for the stomach to process and could trigger pain. Cut down on greasy food like chips, fries and ice cream, as they all contain more fat than we need.
- Avoid carbonated drinks: Carbonated drinks are full of bubbles that can cause bloating in your stomach, which can lead to indigestion or GERD. Stick with water instead—your tummy will thank you for it!
- Avoid or quit smoking: Smoking also triggers acid reflux symptoms so if you're a smoker it's time to consider quitting this habit.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise helps keep everything in your body functioning correctly and is essential for maintaining proper digestion. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise a day!
Quick Tips for Immediate Relief
Don't feel like you're stuck in the never-ending cycle of indigestion and GERD misery. You don't have to suffer in silence anymore. Here are some quick tips for immediate relief:
- Chew your food slowly and thoroughly: This simple action helps with digestion, which can reduce those uncomfortable indigestion symptoms.
- Opt for low-acid foods: Opt for fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds that can help keep heartburn at bay.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water throughout the day will help your digestive system break down food more easily and keep GERD symptoms away.
- Try herbal teas: Ginger tea is a great remedy for indigestion because it helps settle your stomach quickly. Other herbal teas like peppermint or fennel can also provide relief from heartburn and nausea associated with GERD.
- Gently massage your stomach area: Rubbing or massaging the area around your belly button can help stimulate digestion and improve gut health.
- Stay away from trigger foods: While everyone's triggers differ, this list includes coffee, chocolate, onions, fried or fatty foods, tomato products, citrus fruits and juices including grapefruit juice—take note of what foods cause more stomach upset than usual to create good habits moving forward!
Beating indigestion and GERD can be overwhelming but it doesn't have to be. With the right diet and lifestyle changes, you can learn to feel better fast. And the best part? You get to eat delicious natural foods along the way. Give yourself the freedom to enjoy meals guilt-free with natural remedies that are both tasty and effective!
High-Fiber Wonders to Get Your Gut Going
- Cereal Bliss Variety 3 Pack
Cereal Bliss Variety 3 PackRegular priceUnit price per
$41.91Sale price $36.97
- The Big Drop (Mix & Match 1 Cereal 1 Gummies)
The Big Drop (Mix & Match 1 Cereal 1 Gummies)Regular priceUnit price per
$29.98Sale price $24.99
- Cinnamon Toast Ultra Fiber Cereal
Cinnamon Toast Ultra Fiber CerealRegular priceUnit price per
$41.91Sale price $13.97+
- Cocoa Ultra Fiber Cereal
Cocoa Ultra Fiber CerealRegular priceUnit price per
$41.91Sale price $13.97+
- Apple Cider Vinegar Fiber Gummies
Apple Cider Vinegar Fiber GummiesRegular priceUnit price per
$19.99Sale price $9.99+
- Honey Graham Ultra Fiber Cereal
Honey Graham Ultra Fiber CerealRegular priceUnit price per
$41.91Sale price $13.97+
- Original Ultra Fiber Cereal
Original Ultra Fiber CerealRegular priceUnit price per
$41.91Sale price $13.97+
- Poo-phoria (Mix & Match 2 Cereals 1 Gummies)
Poo-phoria (Mix & Match 2 Cereals 1 Gummies)Regular priceUnit price per
$41.97Sale price $39.99